The New York Theosophical Society Library
240 East 53rd Street 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10022
Our Emily Sellon Memorial Library
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
11 AM - 6 PM.
PLEASE NOTE- OUR LIBRARY WILL BE CLOSED FROM AUGUST 4TH THROUGH SEPTEMBER 5TH.
The New York Theosophical Society
240 and 242 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022
between 2nd & 3rd Avenue
The Theosophical Society is world wide and has flourished in New York since its founding in 1875. Our work is grounded in three objects:
- To form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste, or color.
- To encourage the study of comparative religion, science, and philosophy.
- To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in humanity.
The Theosophical Society is composed of students, belonging to any religion or to none, who are united by their approval of the above objects, by their wish to remove religious antagonisms and draw people together, and their desire to study religious, scientific, and philosophical truths and share the results of their studies with others. Their bond of union is not the profession of a common belief, but a common search and aspiration for Truth. They hold that Truth is to be sought in study, reflection, purity of life, and devotion to high ideals. They regard Truth as a prize to be striven for, not a dogma to be imposed by authority.
EMILY SELLON MEMORIAL LIBRARY Join our theosophical library, located above our Quest Bookshop. You are welcome to come and browse. Our comprehensive research and lending library contains recent and primary publications and journals on theosophical and related fields, including religion, healing, meditation, and mysticism. There is no fee to browse or read books in the library. NYTS members may borrow books without charge. Non-members must pay an annual fee of $20 to borrow books. For more information, please contact our librarian at 212-753-3835.
QUEST BOOKSHOP Open Monday through Friday 10 AM- 7 PM and Saturday & Sunday Noon- 6 PM. Quest carries titles on theosophy, Eastern philosophy, healing, astrology, and other esoteric topics. There is also a large selection of gift items to help you along your path, such as candles, pendulums, incense, crystals, aromatherapy oils and more. Check out our website at www.questbookshop.com
Has a Vision of wholeness that inspires a fellowship united in study, meditation, and service.
Its Mission is to encourage open-minded inquiry into world religions, philosophy, science, and the arts in order to understand the wisdom of the ages, respect the unity of all life, and help people explore spiritual self-transformation.
Its Ethic holds that our every action, feeling, and thought affects all other beings and that each of us is capable of and responsible for contributing to the benefit of the whole.
To fulfill its mission in promoting fellowship and spiritual education, the Theosophical Society in America:
- Has local groups around the country where members can meet, explore, and practice together.
- Organizes lectures, classes and workshops at the different local groups.
- Offers online resources that include articles, audios lectures, videos, live webinars, webcasts, and more.
- Publishes books and a quarterly journal on Theosophy and general spirituality.
- Has libraries that specialize on spiritual subjects, both at the National Center as well as at the different local groups
- Is affiliated with Theosophical Camps that host courses and seminars in a natural setting suitable for contemplation, meditation and learning.